Friday, May 4, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Favorites (featuring "White Queso")

(These are all great ideas for Game Day too!)

I haven't posted many of my Mexican or Tex-Mex recipes here on my blog to date, but I have a couple that I thought I'd re-share since we're at the eleventh hour. 

The first is pretty recent and the second I shared back in January. The third is brand new as of today. So... What better recipe is there to start off with, than one for a yummy dip?

Click HERE for the recipe

Then, how about a nice big crowd-pleasing pot of...

Click HERE for the recipe

How about a super easy Queso Blanco (white cheese) dip ~ just like the one that they bring out to the table at your favorite Mexican restaurant?? I made this today and we had it as an app before dinner. OK.... (hangs head) We had it for dinner.





Queso Blanco


  • 1/3 Lb White American Cheese (from the deli - not processed cheese)
  • 1/2 Can Chopped Green Chilies
  • 3-4 Tbls Half & Half or Heavy Cream
This makes a relatively small amount... just enough for 2-4 people. It can be doubled or tripled or more if you're serving more people. Just remember to put it in a chafing dish or crockpot so that it stays liquid during long parties!



1. American Cheese (not processed cheese), Green Chilies and Half & Half
2. Cut cheese into small cubes
3. Place a stainless steel bowl over simmering water
4. Put all ingredients in the bowl
5. Allow cheese to begin melting a bit
6. Start stirring the mixture until all of the cheese is melted and the mixture is completely smooth.  Pour into a bowl and serve immediately. You can also put it into a small fondue pot to keep it at the right temperature and consistency.

I've had a couple of friends ask recently if they could make this in the microwave.  Yes, you can. BUT, be sure to watch it very closely. All microwaves are different and if yours runs high and hot, your queso could turn to mess-o in the blink of an eye. Cheese burns quickly! I would recommend doing it in 15 to 20-second increments, at least until you get a feel for how hot your microwave is.


Or, How about some cheesy Chicken Enchilada Lasagna??

Find the recipe HERE
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Don't Forget To Check Out These Other Festive Recipes!


Creamy Chicken Enchiladas


Find the recipe HERE

Creamy Avocado Dressing
Find the recipe HERE

Ultimate Margarita Chicken
Find the recipe HERE
Here are a few more festive recipes that I found while browsing the web and one that I've added (my Chili Con Carne) to the blog myself since this was originally posted!

If you wish to pin the 7 Layer Dip or Tostada Salad, by all means, be my guest. But... Please be a love and click on the link at the bottom of the photo and pin the recipes from the original sources. Thanks!!

Individual Seven Layer Dips


Source & Recipe
Mary's Game Day Chili


Find the recipe HERE


Tostada Salad
Source & Recipe
...and last, but certainly not least how about something to wash it all down


Source

Gran Gala Ultimate Margarita
  • 1 oz. GranGala Triple Orange Liqueur
  • 1 oz. Premium gold tequila, such as El Charro
  • 1 oz. Fresh lime juice
  • Salt
  • A fresh lime
Rub the rim of a cocktail glass with a fresh-cut wedge of lime. Spin the glass in salt.  Shake vigorously GranGala Triple Orange Liqueur, tequila and fresh lime juice with ice in a shaker.  Strain into glass and garnish with a slice of lime.


Don't Forget To Follow Me On Social Media! I Post Blog Updates, Ideas For Kitchen "How To's", Restaurant Recommendations And Reviews... And Always Lots Of Photos!




You Can Have New Posts From Go Ahead Take A Bite Delivered Right To Your Inbox! Just Enter Your Email Address Here:


Delivered by FeedBurner
We will never send any advertising or provide your email address to any other blogs or businesses.

Don't forget that you can print this (or any) recipe using the "Print Friendly" button at the foot of each post. It's a great little feature that allows you to remove any pictures (or any text that isn't relevant to the recipe) before printing. That can save on ink and paper & in today's economy, who doesn't want to save a little cash when you can?!



22 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! This is always a fun occasion at my house! We eat Mexican food continually here, because it is what I grew up on! Your queso looks so yummy! Your dip and your soup too! And a margarita with these for sure! For dinner tomorrow, I will probably make red chile, chicken and cheese enchiladas, tostadas, and fried rice! Happy Cinco de Mayo!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh that looks yummy. But today is actually Star Wars day ;) May the Fourth be with you ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. your food and drink look just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only is it Cinco de Mayo, it's also Kentucky Derby Day. Two for the price of one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girl! I love that you ate the dip for dinner - sometimes, you've just gotta have some fun! Think about all the calories you saved, too, by JUST eating the dip rather then the dip plus an entree ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, new follower here, thanks for sharing! I actually linked back here for my post-cinco de mayo meatless monday post for this Monday, so I'll post another comment then so you know it's up! These are some super-awesome ideas, I especially like the looks of those layered dip cups. What a clever idea!

    Found you via SImple Living's Foodie Friday hop. Have a great weekend!

    Jessica
    http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipes! Mexican food is my FAVORITE! I have a monday linky and would love to have you share if you have the chance. Thanks! Have a wonderful day!
    http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great recipes there Mary! That seven layer individual dip is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing your finds!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great I could just take a bite!! thanks so much for linking up to Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the chicken soup recipe, Mary. I think I will cook this tonight, but I will cheat and use chicken already baked at the deli! :0
    ~~Blessings, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This menu sounds delicious.... we love Mexican food at our house. I'm going to try it out. Summer and margaritas go hand in hand. I think I'll stock up on some orange liquer and tequila.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so great! It's too bad I missed Cinco de Mayo, although I'm up for Mexican any day of the year! Thanks for following me, I'm following you now as well! GFC, Linky and FB!

    Barbara @ Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks amazing! I could eat Mexican food any time. Queso and a Margarita, count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just thinking about your queso blanco last night. Gotta try it! Thanks for sharing these recipes at Show & Tell.

    Sharon @ mrs hines class

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! My son is going to love me! His fave thing on earth is the cheese dip from his fave Mexican restuarant. I can not wait to share this entire post with him. He's been working on cooking more and eating out less. His wife is in a Master's program so he is applying lessons he learned from his gram about cooking. What an amazing group of recipes - yum yum!! I love coming over here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning Im Kristina and found you at Michelle's Tasty Creations. I'm glad to see Im not the only Cinco de Mayo post on her blog. Recipes look good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, Everything look delicious! I love the Queso Blanco. I've never made one homemade but I will now that I know how easy it is.
    Thank you for your kind words of wisdom on graduation. I am a little apprehensive and happy all at the same time. I know, deep breaths. I just can not believe that the time has flown by so fast and I wonder if she is ready for the world outside of High School.

    Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl, I pinned that Queso Blanco. I have always wondered how to make it :) No more going to the Mexican restaurant and buying it and bringing it home. Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a awesome collection of recipes, I want to try them all and I love your presentation! Hope you have a Very Special Week End and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. This all looks so yummy! I have pinned it to my Yummy Recipes Pinterest board. And you are the featured link on the Creative Corner Hop this week. I hope you will stop by and link up again this week. The linky party will stay open all week.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mary! Hope you are great. Please come visit my blog, I have an award for you to pick up!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...