Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"Mom's" Meatloaf



I know I've been posting a lot of recipes for the foods that I make when my daughter comes home for a visit, but that's one of the times when I tend to do more cooking. This last trip home also coincided with Easter, so that meant a lot more cooking than usual. I do have a new recipe coming up soon that I've made since her visit, so stay tuned! Now, on to the recipe for today.

Is there a more familiar meal to the average American family than one that includes some form of meat and potatoes? One of those hearty meals is definitely Meatloaf and it's usually accompanied by some form of potato side dish. Now, I know that meatloaf isn't necessarily just an "American" concept. It's origins date back to fancy meat terrines and pates that have been made in multiple cultures for centuries, but the one I'm posting today is the simple version that has graced the tables of American families for generations.

As it happened with most of the meals I prepared while the child was here, I didn't take a lot of step by step photos. But, I'm sure nobody's going to have any problems filling in the blanks. :~)

Mom's (that's me) Meatloaf
  • 2 Lbs Beef, Pork and Veal Mix (sometimes labeled "meatloaf mix")
  • 1 Med Yellow Onion, minced
  • 1/2 Lg Red Bell Pepper, minced
  • 1/2 Cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tbls Ketchup
  • 1-2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
  • Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Glaze (optional)
  • 1/4 Cup Ketchup
  • 1 Tbls Yellow Mustard (heaping)
  • 1/4 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar


Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix all of the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. You can use just beef or turkey or whatever ground meat(s) you'd like to.

Combine all of the glaze ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and set it aside.


Pour the meat mixture into a baking dish or loaf pan and shape it accordingly. I bake mine in a large, oval, ceramic casserole dish and I form it into an oblong/football shape, making sure not to mound it too high in the center. The more level it is, the more evenly it cooks.

Bake the meatloaf, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes, depending on size/thickness. It could take up to an hour if it's baked in a high sided loaf pan. About halfway through the cooking process, I remove it from the oven, pour on the glaze and spread it evenly over the top.


When it's done, transfer the meatloaf to a heated platter and let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing it. Since it's usually just the Hubbs and me for dinner, I'll just throw in a couple of baked potatoes along with it, or if I'm in the mood, I'll make mashed/smashed or twice baked. This time, I made oven roasted herbed potatoes (recipe to follow) because they just happen to be someone's favorites. Can you guess who? LOL Serve it with your favorite sides and enjoy!



**This serves 4 people (generously) with plenty left over for meatloaf sandwiches the next day. Yummm!  I still make the entire recipe when it's only the two of us. I just divide it in half and place the second loaf on a cookie sheet and put it in the freezer until it's frozen through. When it's completely frozen, I'll put the additional loaf in a large zip-top bag and pop it back into the freezer for another meal at a later time!


Don't Forget To Follow Me On Social Media! I Post Blog Updates, Ideas For Kitchen "How To's", Restaurant Recommendations And Reviews... And Always Lots Of Photos!




You Can Have New Posts From Go Ahead Take A Bite Delivered Right To Your Inbox! Just Enter Your Email Address Here:


Delivered by FeedBurner
We will never send any advertising or provide your email address to any other blogs or businesses.

Don't forget that you can print this (or any) recipe using the "Print Friendly" button at the foot of each post. It's a great little feature that allows you to save any recipe as a PDF, email a recipe to yourself (or a friend) and remove any pictures (or any text that isn't relevant to the recipe) before printing! That can save on ink and paper. Who doesn't want to save a little cash when you can?!



13 comments:

  1. I love meatloaf! I'd prefer the roasted potatoes too, but Mr. Hines would choose mashed potatoes. He's definitely a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Thanks for sharing this classic meal at Show & Tell.

    sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found my blog cause' now I found you! I love a good recipe and this meatloaf sounds wonderful. I'm now your newest follower too, so we can keep in touch. Stop by any time, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. I'm meatloaf challenged. Hubby wants one that tastes like his moms and I just can't do it. I think I will try yours and see if it passes his test. I'm a new linky follower :D found you through mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm,...that is comfort on a plate. I love meatloaf and I love your idea to freeze half for another quick meal at a later date. Thanks so much for sharing at our party this week. I'm looking forward to seeing all of your fun recipes and projects in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My meatloaf is almost exactly like that (no bell pepper in mine) - looks delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really classic flavored meatloaf that I remember from childhood, but my guess that the mixture of meats makes it moist. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today. I will pin it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you shared this recipe. Hope to see you back next week on Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum - one of my fave foods! I've also used crushed Ritz crackers and also dry oatmeal as filler. The oatmeal works best for not leaving lumps (of bread) and adds nutrition to the meatloaf. I am going to try yours next week with those potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary,
    This meatloaf looks delicious and your recipe looks awesome. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

    http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/04/overflowing-with-creativity-19.html

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delish...I'm going to look for meatloaf mix next time...I go on auto pilot at the store and am probably buzzing right by it. I have never used a glaze but I want to try that too. YUM..I love trying new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum Yum!!! I just found your blog on foodie friday. I'll host a party every month with a different theme and would love you to join! Please visit my blog for more information on "My Sweet Party" post uploaded 2nd of May.

    http://www.meandmysweets.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/my-sweet-party-chocolate-cake-love.html

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love meatloaf but 2lbs is way to much. Think I could half this? Thanks girl for sharing with us at Toot Your Horn Tuesday. Hope you have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...