Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Italian Chicken Pasta Bake


Yup. More pasta... I generally try not to post two pasta dishes in a row, but to be honest I made this and photographed it back at the end of March or beginning of April and for some reason, I never posted it. Funny thing is, I actually included a photo of it in the blog "welcome video" I just made. It wasn't until I was watching the final edit of the video, that I realized there wasn't a recipe for it on the blog! Well... there ya go, folks. This is what happens when you combine menopause and Lupus. Senior moments on steroids. LOL (inside "lupie" joke there)

It's probably not the type of dish that you'd make as often during the warmer months, but it's still a great recipe for the cool, damp or rainy days that most every part of the world gets at some point during the Summer. (like it is right now here on the east coast. yuck!) Hmmm. Now that I've said that, it's perfect timing for my friends in Australia and New Zealand, where Winter is just beginning. Ah, well... wherever it is that you happen to be, I hope you enjoy it!


Italian Chicken Pasta Bake
  • 1 Lb Short Cut Pasta (like penne, fusilli or ziti)
  • 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
  • 1/4 Lb Pancetta, chopped (regular bacon would work in a pinch)
  • 1 Small Onion, chopped
  • 2 and 1/2 Cups Half & Half, or 1 Pint of Heavy Cream plus 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 2 Cup Fontina Cheese, shredded
  • 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
  • 1 Tsp each Dried Oregano and Dried Basil
  • 1 Tsp each Onion Powder and Garlic Powder
  • Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Pick the meat off of your rotisserie chicken and cut or shred it into reasonably bite-sized pieces. Of course, if you have your own cooked chicken, use that. Set it aside.


Fry the pancetta (or bacon, if that's what you have) until it's just crisp. Remove it with a slotted spoon to a small paper towel lined plate or bowl and set it aside.


While you're doing the rest of your prep, cook your pasta according to the package directions, but remove it from the heat and drain it a few minutes before the package recommends. You want the pasta to be slightly undercooked, because it will continue to cook and absorb some of the sauce as it's baking in the oven.


In the same pan where you cooked the pancetta, saute the onions in the drippings, until they're soft and golden brown.


Add the pancetta and onions to the bowl of chicken and combine thoroughly. Set it aside to allow the mixture to cool slightly.


Shred the Fontina and Mozzarella and grate the Parmesan (**if you're using a solid wedge) and toss them loosely together.

**If you noticed that I had several types of cheese in various bags, etc. in the first photo of the ingredients, it's because I wasn't sure which (of the many that I always seem to have in the fridge) I wanted to use in the recipe. I finally decided on the three that I did, because I wanted to keep this pasta bake more "Italian". I also had a wedge of parm that I was going to use and then realized I had some pre-grated reggiano in the fridge that was already opened, so I used it instead.


When the pasta is cooked and drained, combine it in a large mixing bowl with the half and half, or the heavy cream and milk, if that's what you're using) and add the dried herbs, onion and garlic powders and salt and pepper. Mix well.


When all of the ingredients have cooled off a little, add the chicken mixture to the pasta mixture and stir it well to combine. This mixture will be a bit loose and that's how you want it to be.


Add all but one cup of your combined cheeses to the bowl and mix that in.


Pour the fully combined mixture into a large baking or casserole dish and add the remaining cheeses on top. I like to sprinkle a bit of the dried oregano, basil and other seasonings on top for a little extra color and flavor.


Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in your preheated oven, until the top is golden brown and bubbly all over. Check on it at 30 minutes because 1) it can depend on how deep or shallow your baking dish is and 2) not all ovens are the same and yours might run a little hotter or cooler than mine.


Serve with a fresh green salad or your favorite vegetable and a nice crusty loaf of Italian or French bread and...


Enjoy!


~Mary

Don't Forget To Follow Me On Social Media! I Post Blog Updates, Ideas For Kitchen "How To's", Restaurant Recommendations And Reviews And Always Lots Of Photos!





You Can Have New Posts From Go Ahead Take A Bite Delivered Right To Your Inbox! Just Enter Your Email Address Here:


Delivered by FeedBurner
We will never send any advertising or provide your email address to any other blogs or businesses.

Don't forget that you can print this (or any) recipe using the "Print Friendly" button at the foot of each post. It's a great little feature that allows you to remove any pictures (or any text that isn't relevant to the recipe) before printing. That can save on ink and paper & in today's economy, who doesn't want to save a little cash when you can?!


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob! It was one of those nights that I had some ingredients on hand and didn't quite know how I was going to put them together. Once in a while I just wing it and this time it turned out to be a keeper!

      Delete
  2. That looks completely and utterly decadent!!! So, of course, you KNOW it's fabulous! We're having a sunny day here, but it's kinda chilly ... sounds like a good day for pasta ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Mary! That's always my thought when it's a sunny but chilly day in the summer months. Pasta! But then, any day is a good day for pasta in my world! LOL

      Delete
  3. I don't know how I missed this recipe - thank goodness the link was in my in-box at gmail. I love the sound of this, the look of this and everything about this recipe. I CAN'T WAIT to try it. I suspect it will become a family favorite pretty darn quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan! I do hope you try it. I think it's the kind of dish your "Alphas" would enjoy. It's definitely one of those good hearty "man" meals. lol If you do make it, I'd love to know what they think! XOXO

      Delete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...