Thursday, September 6, 2012

Meyer Lemon Blueberry Shortcake

It's the end of summer and from a culinary standpoint, I'm finding myself somewhere between cooking up comforting colder weather foods and holding on to those last sunny, warm days with something bright and fruity.


Well, Monday night, the fruity summer flavors won out, in the form of my Meyer Lemon Blueberry Shortcake. I'm absolutely in love with the combination of blueberries and lemon and when the lemon happens to be a Meyer Lemon, I'm in citrus heaven. If you've never experienced the taste, the best description that I can think of, is somewhere between a lemon and a sweet, juicy mandarin orange. (they also happen to make the most awesome lemonade you'll ever taste!)



Meyer Lemon Blueberry Shortcake
(serves 4 to 6)
  • 1 and 1/2 recipes of Bisquick Shortcakes (*see my substitutions below)
  • 2 Pints Fresh Blueberries, washed and picked through
  • 2 Meyer Lemons, zest and juice from each, divided
  • 2/3 C Sugar
  • 1 Pint Whipping Cream
  • 2-3 Tbls Sugar (for whipped cream)



Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees

For the berries:

Place blueberries, sugar and the zest from 1 and 1/2 lemons and the juice from both, in a non-reactive bowl. (I use glass) Stir very well to combine and to dissolve the sugar and allow them to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (you can start with a bit less sugar, but blueberries usually need a bit more to draw out the juices than more porous fruits/berries.)


~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *



For the shortcake:

OK... I could make the dry mixture for the shortcake myself. I always have the ingredients on hand and it doesn't take that much more effort.  BUT, 1) my mother always used Bisquick and I just followed her lead when I started cooking. 2) In all honesty, I've done the scratch version and I actually prefer the mix - for both flavor and convenience.  So....




Make 1 and 1/2 recipes, according to the directions on the box for shortcake(s). I prefer one large single shortcake, but you can make individual biscuits if that's what you like. When the mixture is just barely combined, dump it out into a lightly greased 8" or 9" round baking pan and press it out gently and evenly. (I sprinkle the top with about a tablespoon of sugar for a little extra somethin', somethin') Do not overwork the dough. It will make the shortcake tough and dry.

*My substitutions: I replace the milk with an equal amount of buttermilk and I add the zest of one lemon.






Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes, checking it at about 15 minutes with a toothpick or skewer. Cool at least 15 minutes before cutting it.


Cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Split each wedge in half, spoon berries (and lots of juice!) over the bottom half. Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream and repeat with the top half.



How to make perfect homemade whipped cream:
(compliments of the hubbers)


1 Pint Heavy or Whipping Cream
2 Tbls Granulated Sugar

Always make sure that your ingredients and your utensils are as cold as you can get them. We always put the bowl and the whisk, beaters or stick blender in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, before whipping the cream. Putting the cream itself in the freezer for 5 minutes never hurts either, especially in the summer months.

We use a metal bowl, because they retain the cold and we place a towel or pot holder under the bowl, so that it stays put.

Start whipping the cream before adding the sugar and add it in when the cream just begins to thicken. Continue beating until it holds soft peaks on the end of the beater/whisk/stick blender. Et, voila! Perfect whipped cream, every time!

Enjoy!

~Mary
So far this week, I've linked up with:

Thriving On Thursdays at Domesblissity
Creative Thursdays at Michelle's Tasty Creations
Live Laugh Linky Thursday at Live, Laugh, Rowe
Happy Hour Friday at Happy Hour Projects
Inspiration Friday at At The Picket Fence
Cowgirl Up! Link Party at The Ivy Cottage

Week of 9/17/12
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
All-Star Block Party at In The Old Road
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
Food on Friday at Carole's Chatter




Go Ahead... Take A Bite is now on Facebook!  Just click here to "Like" GATAB, or use the link in my sidebar! ===>>>

 Thanks!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like it! (and it wasn't half bad, if I do say so myself. LOL)

      Delete
  2. Sigh ... :) Do I have to find words??? Each part of this is so luscious, and then you put all the pieces together into one glorious feast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Pinning to make soon! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    This looks SO scrumptious! Lemon and blueberry are two of my very favorite flavors together and who doesn't love a shortcake. I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you have for this week’s party! Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. There you go.. lemons and blueberries with shortcake! I think this is going to be a Sunday night dessert over here! Hope you a doing good Mary!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post thanks for sharing ...looking for to visit more...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love shortbread, I love blueberries, I love lemons - what is not to love about this amazing recipe?? I can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Thanks so much for linking this in to Food on Friday: Lemons and Limes. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...