Monday, April 16, 2012

Oven Baked Blueberry French Toast


Good Monday morning everyone! I'm just coming out of a week-long GI bug and obviously haven't been doing any cooking, so I thought I'd share one more of the dishes that I made for Easter brunch this year. It's inspired a little bit by a bread pudding recipe that I've made forever and a recipe that I found this year at the Stonewall Kitchen blog. I've made this with raspberries, peaches and sauteed cinnamon apples in the past as well, but no matter what kind of fruit I use, it always disappears off the brunch table in a matter of minutes. I think I'm going to have to start making more than one from now on...

Oven Baked Blueberry French Toast
  • 1 Loaf Challah or Brioche (egg bread)
  • 1 Pint Fresh Blueberries, rinsed & drained
  • 8-10 Lg Eggs
  • 2 Cups Milk
  • 1/2 Cup Butter, melted
  • 2 Tsp Cinnamon
  • 2 Tbls Granulated Sugar
  • More Cinnamon and Sugar for the top
  • Pure Maple Syrup, for serving


Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Rinse and drain the blueberries and cut your bread into 1/2 inch slices.


In a rectangular baking dish or large loaf pan, layer the bread slices in a slightly upright position, sprinkling the blueberries in between and on top of the layers.


Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top, making sure to get a little in between the slices of bread too.


In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon with a whisk or a fork until it's well combined.




Pour the egg (custard) mixture over the bread and fruit and lightly press down on the bread with a spatula or the back of a spoon, so that it can soak up a good amount of the liquid. This can all be done just prior to baking or the night before and then baked off in the morning. If you do it the night before, just cover the dish tightly with cling wrap or a very tight fitting lid and pop it in the fridge.


Just before baking, sprinkle the top with a couple of teaspoons of sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon.




Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on your oven and whether or not it goes in cold right out of the fridge. It's done when the center is set and the top is crispy and golden brown. (Sorry that I wasn't able to get any photos of the whole finished dish, but the vultures my family swooped in and filled their plates before I was even able to put all of the food out on the table.)


Serve this with warmed, pure maple syrup and if you want to be a little decadent, you can also add a big dollop of sweetened, freshly whipped cream and a few more fresh blueberries.   Enjoy!

Love all things Blueberry? Try my Meyer Lemon Blueberry Shortcake!

Find the recipe HERE


Don't Forget To Follow Me On Social Media! I Post Blog Updates, Ideas For Kitchen "How To's", Restaurant Recommendations And Reviews... And Always Lots Of Photos!




You Can Have New Posts From Go Ahead Take A Bite Delivered Right To Your Inbox! Just Enter Your Email Address Here:


Delivered by FeedBurner
We will never send any advertising or provide your email address to any other blogs or businesses.

Don't forget that you can print this (or any) recipe using the "Print Friendly" button at the foot of each post. It's a great little feature that allows you to remove any pictures (or any text that isn't relevant to the recipe) before printing. That can save on ink and paper & in today's economy, who doesn't want to save a little cash when you can?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Wow! My Creamy Pinto-Cado Dip was featured this week on Masterpiece Monday at California Coastal Living, hosted by the very lovely Mary!


And... it was also featured this week on the Wednesday Whatsits party at White Lights On Wednesday, hosted by the very cool Ms. Julie!


_______________________________________________________
*******************************************************

I also just found out that my Sweet Buttermilk Banana Cake was featured on Terrific Tuesdays, at Adventures of A DIY Mom, hosted by supermom Rachel!  (I'm so sorry that I missed it when it was posted as a feature on the 3rd of this month. I have got to get my act together! LOL)




I am just so honored and humbled... Two of my recipes (Pinto-Cado Dip and Sausage Strata) were featured this week on Thriving On Thursdays, at Domesblissity, hosted by the very sweet and thrifty Ms. Anne! 

(The last I checked Anne's blog was under reconstruction, but you can visit her Facebook page HERE!)


A very sincere Thank You! to all of these gracious hostesses!


29 comments:

  1. Oh my yumminess! Will be trying this soon! Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I think I put on five pounds eating this over and over in my mind with several versions of different fruit! I will definitely be trying this one out. First attempt will probably be peaches, since that is my hubby's fave!
    Hope you are feeling much better!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! French toast is my favorite breakfast and blueberries are one of my favorite fruits! This looks divine and I can not wait to make this. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, Mary, you've gone and done it again - I think this is definitely your best recipe yet! Those photos - they look like ART! I'm afraid if I were present I would have swooped down like a vult- oops like your family - myself. Thanks for sharing this AMAZING recipe at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made this one before...it reminds me of a cross between French toast and bread pudding. How can that go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow does this look amazing or what?! The perfect brunch item!

    New follower :)

    Stephanie
    www.chocolatecoveredbuttons.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good I have never tried anything like this but I sooo need to now :)YUM YUM thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering! I'll be making this soon.
    BTW- Thanks for the heads up - My Creative Corner Hop button is working now.

    Holly
    http://hollysstampingaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering! I'll be making this soon.
    BTW- Thanks for the heads up - My Creative Corner Hop button is working now.

    Holly
    http://hollysstampingaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMM!!! I will definitely be making this. I have pinned this to my Breakfast foods Pinterest Board. Cherished Handmade Treasures Pinterest

    Thanks for linking up to the Creative Corner Hop. I hope you will be back again next week!

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum! This looks delicious!

    I'm visiting from the Show & Tell Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, thank you for linking up to Show & Tell. I'm glad to have you! Second, I am drooling over this recipe! It looks sooooo good. I will be pinning this to my recipe board. Happy to be a new Linky Follower and looking forward to many more recipes!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious treat and a great way to start the day! Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved baked french toast. This one looks so yummy. I am going to pin it so I can make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGosh, wish I could have been a vulture too! ha! This looks so good! French toast is one of my favorite dishes anyway but baked and with blueberries makes me drool. I shared it on my FB page this morning. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,

    I followed you over from Mix it up Monday and this looks so amazing! I have been looking for a baked french toast strata type recipe forever and now I have one. Thanks for sharing.

    I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

    Have a great day,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I am so blowed- your french toast looks WAY better than mine, lmao.

    Hey you should try that honey butter syrup of mine with it next time-
    BTW- what BEAUTIFUL pics of the berries and the toast!
    Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this looks great! Delicious & tempting. Congratulation on getting featured on so many parties.
    Thanks Mary for visiting me and for your nice words about my kabab curry recipe. Let me know how they turned out if you give them a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a week you've had!!! Fabulous to see you featured, and to see that gorgeous bread pudding ... sigh. Which ingredient is better? Challah, blueberries, cinnamon ... each contributing its glory to the greater good of sinful temptation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your recipes sound amazing, please make them printer friendly if it is not too much trouble. Can't wait to try them.

    Thanks so much!

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mary,

    Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. This looks so yummy and I can't wait to try it out, maybe this weekend ;)

    I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Morning Mary,
    I sure would be nice to wake up to your wonderful Baked Blueberry French Toast, it looks delicious. Your presentation is awesome! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. You were featured at Mrs.Hines' Class too! That's where I came from. This looks divine...like...I'm salivating. Trying to diet here! Mmmmm. wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm back to congratulate you, Mary - you've been featured at Inspire Me Monday 16 at:

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    I told you, I cannot resist those blueberries. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mary your french toast looks so delish!! Came over from Domesblicity after seeing the picture and to get the recipe. I have never seen bread pudding made like that in a loaf pan. And I love it. And I like the way it looks when its served. So yummy. I can hardly wait to make this. And I have a huge bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer. (My husband makes a very healthy smoothie every morning with them.) So I've got it all. Thanks for such a great recipe!!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  26. YUM! My daughter would love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My family LOVED this! I was a little concerned trying a new recipe Christmas morning, but it came out perfect! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...