Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Lasagna


If you're at all familiar with me or with this blog, you know that we are definitely fans of Tex Mex and/or Mexican food and creamy, cheesy, gooey, chicken enchiladas are a definite favorite. Back in the '90s, there was a local Mexican restaurant that served incredible creamy chicken enchiladas, but the restaurant closed and I missed those bad boys like you wouldn't believe. So, I did what any self-respecting food addict would do and came up with my own version. They turned out to be pretty good, (if I do say so myself, lol) but it takes a fair amount of time and busy work to prepare them. (all of that dipping and rolling and messy fingers....)

I knew that if I wanted to continue to satisfy my cravings for this dish, I was going to have to change up the preparation a bit so that it wouldn't be so time-consuming. The result?? Taaaa-Daaa! Chicken Enchilada Lasagna! Same ingredients... just a different way of putting it all together.


Chicken Enchilada Lasagna
  • 2 Cups Shredded Chicken
  • 1 Pkg (10) 6-inch Flour Tortillas
  • 1 8 oz Brick Cream Cheese
  • 1 Small Can Chopped Green Chilies
  • 16 oz Sour Cream
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper
  • 2-3 Cups Salsa (homemade or your favorite jarred version)
  • 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar or Mexican Blend Cheese
  • Milk or Half & Half

Pre-heat your oven to 375°F.

Combine sour cream, cream cheese, green chilies and seasonings in a large non-stick skillet and cook over medium heat, until it comes to a slow bubbling simmer. Stir this mixture frequently as it cooks, to avoid sticking or burning. Add in a little milk or half & half as needed, to keep it somewhat loose. (about the consistency of a basic gravy) When it's all combined, set it aside to cool while you prep the rest.


In a medium bowl, stir 1 to 1&1/2 cups of the salsa into the shredded chicken. Set aside.




In a casserole dish, spoon in enough of the creamy mixture to just cover the bottom of the dish. Spread it out evenly. (I used an 11-inch oval casserole dish)


Place 3 to 4 of the tortillas on top of the sauce. (Depending on the size and shape of your dish)


Add another layer of the cream cheese/sour cream sauce and spread it out evenly.


Add about 1/3 of the chicken and salsa mixture, then sprinkle the top with a hand full or two of the shredded cheese.


Add another layer of tortillas and continue the process, just as you would with a lasagna until you've filled the dish, leaving enough of the creamy mixture and shredded cheese for the top.




Spread the last of the sauce and the cheese and bake in a 375°F preheated oven, until it's heated all the way through and lightly browned on the top. (about 35 to 40 minutes, depending on how many layers you end up with)


Allow it to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes before cutting it into squares or scooping it out with a spoon.


Serve it with extra salsa and sour cream and a little fresh cilantro or parsley.



Enjoy!

Mary 


Don't Forget To Follow Me On Social Media! I Post Blog Updates, Ideas For Kitchen "How To's", Restaurant Recommendations And Reviews... And Always Lots Of Photos!




You Can Have New Posts From Go Ahead Take A Bite Delivered Right To Your Inbox! Just Enter Your Email Address Here:


Delivered by FeedBurner
We will never send any advertising or provide your email address to any other blogs or businesses.

Don't forget that you can print this (or any) recipe using the "Print Friendly" button at the foot of each post. It's a great little feature that allows you to save any recipe as a PDF, email a recipe to yourself (or a friend) and remove any pictures (or any text that isn't relevant to the recipe) before printing! That can save on ink and paper. Who doesn't want to save a little cash when you can?!



**Please keep in mind that the following blog parties might not exist if you are reading this after the date it was originally posted. Some blogs could still have parties but they might have changed the dates or names, etc.

**I'll be linking up with these fabulous parties this week:

Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
All-Star Block Party at In The Old Road
Creative Thursday at Michelle's Tasty Creations
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
Friday Fun Party at Craftionary
Happy Hour Friday at Happy Hour Projects
Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sister's Stuff
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Scrumptious Sunday at Addicted To Recipes

Week of 9/25/12

Mix It Up Monday at Flour Me With Love
Thriving On Thursdays at Domesblissity
Live, Laugh, {Linky} Thursday at Live, Laugh, Rowe
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Potpourri Friday at 2805



Thanks!!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well... thank you, good neighbor! And might I just say that it's pretty cool to see you here in the blogosphere! Let me know how it turns out, mmm'K? :~)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aww, Thank you Kim, darlin'. I hope it didn't cause your keyboard to short out! XOXOXO

      Delete
  3. Hello Mary! Looks pretty yummy! Glad you can figure out how to come up with the flavors that you love! Hoping you are doing great, my friend!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie-Q! Vacation kicked my behind, but I'm hangin' in there. Hope you're doing well too! {{{Hugs}}}

      Delete
  4. Easy and looks great...that's a winning recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary, I saw this at Rattlebridge and it looks delicious and a dish perfect for fall! Just joined as a new follower and would love to have to stop by and do the same. I'm originally from update NY and miss this time of year there... Have a great weekend, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg this looks right up my alley. I have GOT to make this!

    New follower here! Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,
    Love this! I have a very similar recipe (Chicken Enchilada Casserole) that came about the same way. I got tired of all the rolling and filling and I do love a casserole. I can't wait to try your delicious looking recipe :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...