Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fried Cabbage With Bacon & Onions



Top O' The Mornin' to ye!

Now, if you've stopped by here in the past week or two, you've probably noticed the jaunty little Leprechaun in my sidebar, announcing the St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl, hosted by the very lovely (and very Irish) Kathleen at Cuisine Kathleen. I was so excited when I found out about this particular blog crawl because, well... I am an Irish lass and I do love to cook and to eat (of course) Irish food. Well, the day is finally here and the 4th Annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl is on!!

The Hubby and I will be going to a friend's house for St. Patrick's Day this coming Saturday, so we had our own Paddy's Day dinner over the weekend. For our little celebration, I prepared Ale Braised Beef Brisket with Colcannon and Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions. For dessert, I made a special treat that I first had when we were in Ireland a couple of years ago. What was it? Well, I can tell you that it's a very popular dessert in the UK and I can tell you that it is just heavenly. But, all will be revealed (including the recipe, of course) in an upcoming post, so stay tuned!

I decided to do separate posts for each of the dishes because I didn't want to have too many photos or too many recipes in one post.  This is the first of the dishes from our celebratory dinner ~ Fried Cabbage With Bacon & Onions.  I hope you enjoy it! The recipes for the other dishes on our menu will be posted today. I'm just a little behind in my posting, but they're coming!


Fried Cabbage With Bacon & Onions
(this recipe is for 2 - 4 people and can be easily doubled or tripled)
  • 8 oz Center Cut Smoked Bacon, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 Head Green Cabbage, cored and sliced
  • 1 Lg Yellow Onion, thickly sliced
  • Salt & Pepper


Fry up the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it is just crisp. Keep a close eye on it and stir it often so that it doesn't burn. When it's nice and crispy and golden brown, remove it with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper toweling to drain, leaving the drippings in the skillet. Set aside.


Slice up your Cabbage and Onions. The photo shows the whole head, but it was quite large and since it was only the two of us, I used half.  If you're making this for a crowd, you can use a whole pound of bacon and the whole head of cabbage. I slice my cabbage and my onions relatively thickly, so they don't lose too much of their texture while cooking.


Add your sliced onions to the skillet first and season them with a bit of salt & pepper.  Cook them on medium heat until they just begin to soften and start to get a bit translucent. (about 8 minutes)


Add your cabbage and give it a good stir to coat it with the drippings and the little bit of liquid that the onions have given off.  Add a pinch more salt & pepper and you can also add a pinch of sugar to help it caramelize better and give it just a hint of sweetness.


At this point, I add about 1/4 Cup of either water or stock. I had some chicken stock in the fridge, but you could even use a little white wine or beer if you'd like. You just need a bit of liquid to help it steam. Cover the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. After it has steamed for a bit, remove the lid and turn the heat up to medium-high to allow the liquid to evaporate. Continue to fry it up, stirring it often until it's golden brown and softened.


Just before serving, add the cooked bacon back into the pan and cook for a couple of minutes more to heat it through. I always warm the dishes that I'm serving in for a few minutes in a 250 or 300-degree oven. This just helps to keep your food hot longer once it's put on the table or the buffet. (it also helps if you use a nice heavy stoneware bowl/dish because they really do retain heat longer)

Serve it up with your favorite main dish and enjoy!

Here's the link to The St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl. Come on over to Kathleen's and join the party!! (This is an older link from the 2012 Blog Crawl, but there are still great recipes and decorating ideas to peruse!)

Click HERE


Don't Forget To Follow Me On Social Media! I Post Blog Updates, Ideas For Kitchen "How To's", Restaurant Recommendations And Reviews... And Always Lots Of Photos!




You Can Have New Posts From Go Ahead Take A Bite Delivered Right To Your Inbox! Just Enter Your Email Address Here:


Delivered by FeedBurner
We will never send any advertising or provide your email address to any other blogs or businesses.

Don't forget that you can print this (or any) recipe using the "Print Friendly" button at the foot of each post. It's a great little feature that allows you to remove any pictures (or any text that isn't relevant to the recipe) before printing. That can save on ink and paper & in today's economy, who doesn't want to save a little cash when you can?!


12 comments:

  1. I am not Irish but my son was born on 3/17 so what a better day than to make this delicious recipe. YUM, it looks so good. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, where did you get your beautiful casserole dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! That's exactly how I make it. My Polish roomie from college showed me many years ago. I add a few shakes of powdered mustard for a little extra kick!
    Thanks, so much for joining the St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl, mavourneen, a pleasure to have you!
    Have a wonderful SPD weekend, Slainte' !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks divine! I cannot wait to try this one - thank you for sharing! Hope your St. Pat's Day is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. iSW: Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by! My stoneware is called Temptations and the entire line is avaiable through QVC. I love the stuff and frankly, as much as I hate to admit it, it's made me a bit of a QVC addict. LOL They're hand painted, super durable and really inexpensive too.

    Kat'leen: What can I say me darlin'? You are simply the best! And I couldn't be more thrilled to be participating in your utterly awesome party! Wouldn't it be grand to sip a cup o' tea and swap recipes?

    Diane: Thanks so much! I hope you get a chance to give it a try. Hope your SPD is a grand one too!

    :@)HTAPIM: Me too! Cooked with bacon is best of course, but I don't think I have to tell you that! LOL Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know my hubby would like this! I just bought cabbage today, so will make it! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cabbage. What a great way to serve it up. I usually add caraway seeds when I cook cabbage. The bacon sounds lovely. (I'll be leaving out the onions, though, I really can't stand rgwn.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looove cooked cabbage, but no one in my house will eat it with me. Perhaps if I make this people will try it! Happy St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patsy: Oh, I do hope you'll let me know how he liked it!

    Priscilla: I put caraway in if I'm making it to go along with Schnitzle or another German dish. Onions are always optional. ;~)

    Becki: Hubs is not always a fan of cooked cabbage either, but he loves it done this way. Maybe that's a good sign! I hope your family enjoys it if you do make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious...I pinned it to my 'Recipes I Want to Try' board! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share! Happy St. Patty's to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi D! Thanks for stopping by and thanks for pinning this! I hope you do give it a try. It doesn't just have to be for St, Paddy's Day, either. It makes a great side dish with all kinds of meals. Thanks for hosting Rock & Share!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...