Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cindy-Lou Who's Roast Beast (Rib Eye Roast)




The good folks of Whoville sure know how to put on a scrumptious Christmas feast, so who am I to argue?  (I know... pretty lame, but it is the holiday season, so what harm will it do to indulge me a teeny bit?)

So, since it was just the Mr and me here to partake in the yuletide feast this year, we decided to forego the usual whole roasted beef tenderloin and opted for a small boneless beef rib roast instead. In my book, there's nothing at all "grinchy" about a classic Roast Beast dinner, especially when it's accompanied by Au Gratin Potatoes and Sauteed Green Beans with Shallots and Garlic.



OK, I get it. With all of the butter, cream and cheese in the potatoes and since the rib roast isn't exactly the most lean cut of beef,  this is not a meal that you want to indulge in every day of the week, BUT, for a special occasion, you really can't beat it.  A special dinner for New Year's Eve, perhaps?

I'll post the recipes for the potatoes and beans later.




Boneless Beef Rib Eye Roast

  • 4 to 5 Lb Boneless Beef Rib Roast
  • 6 Lg Garlic Cloves, peeled and cut in halves or quarters
  • Olive Oil
  • Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper

Remove the roast from the refrigerator at least an hour before cooking, to bring it closer to room temperature.  This is important because when the meat (any meat) is too cold it simply won't cook evenly.  Especially if you prefer your beef more medium or well done. (which, as you can see, we do not!)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.  Peel and halve or quarter your Garlic Cloves and with the tip of a sharp paring knife, make several small cuts about 3/4 of an inch deep, all around the roast. Take your pieces of Garlic and insert them into each slit, spacing them out evenly.  Rub the meat with a couple of tablespoons of Olive Oil and season liberally with Salt and Black Pepper. (about 2 to 1, salt to pepper) Place the roast, fat side up, in a sturdy roasting pan or baking dish. You can use a rack, but it isn't necessary.

Put the meat in the oven, on the middle rack. After 15 minutes, turn down the temperature to 325 and continue to cook for about 13 minutes per pound or an internal temperature of 125 for medium rare or 15 minutes per pound or an internal temperature of 130 - 145 for medium to well done.  (** see note below)

These temperatures may seem too low, but remember that there will be carry-over cooking time while the meat rests (which is mandatory if you want a juicy, tender piece of beef) that will raise the internal temperature by up to 5 degrees.

When you remove the roast from the oven, cover it with foil and allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.  Carve according to your taste and serve.  Enjoy!!


** There are several methods of roasting both Bone-In and Boneless Rib Roasts out there.  If you google either of these, you'll find dozens of methods that the different authors find work best for them.



Linking up with:

Click here to link up

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mary thanks for commenting on my blog. I am now following yours. We too had Roast Beast for dinner for our big family get together. And it was delicious. I wanted to take it out at 125 degrees but my husband and son insisted I wait. Well it was medium which is ok. No matter it was melt in your mouth wonderful. You have some really good recipes here on your blog and I'm looking forward to trying alot of your them and am so anxious for your au gratin potatoes recipe. I have several au gratin recipes but am always looking for new ones. Thanks again for coming to my blog. It meant alot to me. Am looking forward to more of your posts.

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure calories don't count from Christmas through New Year's, so this sounds perfect for some weekend cooking! It seems like you guys celebrated well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOHHHH that looks so good! I think I told you? We had Filet Mignon for Christmas dinner, we had my mom here from BMore- it was awesome! I'm probably never doing turkey again for xmas.
    Of course, I think next year I am going out to eat, haha!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have prime rib for Christmas every year...well, the rest of my family still does. We have spent the past 5 in Orlando (I have a daughter working for Disney-she has to work Christmas) eating at a Disney Hotel restaurant...so this brings back fond memories! The potatoes look amazing too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...